The evening events take place a 10 minute walk from Manchester Picadilly. Meeting points and other details are given below.
Manchester Guided Walk at 18.00
The evening before conference is always a great way to explore a city, whether you are new to it, or a frequent visitor. Join Manchester tour guides to discover the stories that gave rise to the street names of Manchester:
• How is Daub Holes associated with Manchester's main Railway Station?
• How is an 18th Century " toy-boy " known as Spanking Roger connected with three streets?
• How did a London theatre company gave birth to one of Manchester's bridges?
• Learn about a 16th Century woman commemorated in two streets, and an Oxford man who took a flight of fancy
• Why you too can know every street in the City.
will be limited places for the walk, and places are on a first come, first
served basis. Registration will be open to conference attendees only.
Meeting point: to be confirmed
Start time: 18.00
Finish time: 20.00 at the Leaf on Portland Street pub.
After the tour, we will reatreat to a local pub for a few replenishing drinks. The tour is free to attend and the drinks are on us!
Pub quiz and drinks at Leaf on Portland Street
Test out your knowlege at our pub quiz, there may be a few geographical questions thrown in! Don't worry if you come on your own, we'll help get teams of 5 sorted!
Drinks start: 20:00
Pub quiz start: 20:30
Address: Leaf on Portland street, 113-115 Portland Street, Manchester, M1 6DW.
Walking directions from the train station: map (depending on which station exit you use)
Post conference drinks
At the end of the conference there will be an opportunity to stay for drinks.