We care about your privacy

We use cookies to optimise site functionality and give you the best possible experience.

Skip to main content


NLPG fit for purpose

Posted: 07 August 2002

The custodians of the NLPG, Intelligent Addressing, have in association with Local Government Information House (LGIH), part of IDeA conducted and published an overview and statistical analysis of the NLPG dataset.

Its findings are a resounding confirmation that the NLPG is 'fit for purpose' and meets the highest industry data standards.

Key findings of the report:

  • The NLPG appears to be the most extensive address-based dataset in England and Wales. Being about 11% larger than the next largest (The Land Registry's LRPG), 13% bigger than ADDRESS-POINT and 14% bigger than PAF.
  • Structural and data anomalies and gross errors are less than 1%, with remedial action underway.
  • Co-ordinates in the NLPG are of sufficient quality to link the address to the map in about 83% of cases. The remaining 17% are flagged for improvement of their positional accuracy by local authorities.
  • There is a close correlation between the co-ordinates in Ordnance Survey's ADDRESS-POINT and those of the NLPG
  • Random sample testing with NLIS records show similar match rates to PAF. Taken with match rates against other third party datasets, this indicates the national dataset for England and Wales already compares well to other national datasets with maintenance procedures that are robust.
  • 54% of records in the NLPG have been supplied, and are being updated, at local authority level.

The full report is available to download at www.nlpg.org.uk. The Technical Appendices detailing the calculations behind the reports findings are available on request from Intelligent Addressing on 020 7484 3766 or [email protected].

Intelligent Addressing Ltd and Property Intelligence plc

Intelligent Addressing are a leading authority in information management. They are responsible for creating and managing the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG), the definitive list of references for all land and property in Great Britain and a pivotal mechanism underpinning the joined-up information age. Intelligent Addressing have also played a key role in defining the British Standard for address data, BS7666, the standard upon which the NLPG is based.

Intelligent Addressing is a wholly owned subsidiary of Property Intelligence plc, a specialist provider of property information, and other data management services.

Local Government Information House Ltd (LGIH)

LGIH was set up as a subsidiary of I&DEA, to take advantage of the opportunities to exploit commercially suitable Local data and encourage best practice and innovation in Local Government.

7th August 2002

Notes to Editors:

The NLPG was initiated in 1999 to become the master address dataset for England and Wales and the central hub for the 376 address creating Local Authorities and their Local Land and Property Gazetteers (LLPGs). Based on unique property reference numbers (UPRNs) the underlying principle of these gazetteers is to provide a single definitive ad dress database for all departments and systems across a local authority in order to cut costs, improve efficiency and service delivery.

Intelligent Addressing is a specialist private sector consultancy (an SME) employing recognised experts in addressing. It was originally set up to help develop the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) on behalf of local government and now manages the NLPG and NSG central data hubs under the terms of the Mapping Services Agreement (MSA) with local government.

Intelligent Addressing contact:

Michael Nicholson or Nick Griffiths | Intelligent Addressing | 0207 747 3500 | Email: [email protected] or [email protected] | www.intelligent-addressing.co.uk, www.thensg.org.uk, www.nlpg.org.uk

The Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA) The IDeA works in partnership with all councils, to enhance the performance of the best, accelerate the speed of improvement of the rest, and develop the sector as a whole. IDeA has brokered the Mapping Services Agreement (MSA) with Intelligent Addressing to develop the NLPG and NSG, through the Local Government Information House (LGIH), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Agency.

Working in partnership with the local government community developing national infrastructure projects that enable councils to deliver local services more effectively, LGIH acts as an intermediary between the public and the private sector enabling it to negotiate with private companies on behalf of local authorities in order to provide key parts of a technical infrastructure for improved service delivery.

The NLPG is a joint venture between the Information House and Intelligent Addressing Limited.

IDeA contacts:

Paul Bailey | 020 7296 6600 | Email: [email protected] | www.idea.gov.uk

Back to Listing

Join our mailing list

Sign up to our e-newsletter bringing you the latest from GeoPlace.